Born in Nanango in the South Burnett region of Queensland, Russell spent most of his youth in the timber town of Blackbutt where his parents had a small farm producing beef cattle, timber, grain and watermelons.
Russell's first full time employment was in Kingaroy, leaving school after year 10 to work in the food processing industry. Here he spent 25 years working in many departments, training for management roles and eventually becoming Site Manager.
In August 2006, Russell moved to Cooktown where he bought and still operates a retail fishing tackle business, The Lure Shop.
Hobbies and Recreation
As a child, Russell took part in horse riding and pony club. Competing in dressage and novelty events were a large part of his weekend activities, if he was not mustering cattle on his father's beef cattle property 'Barunga'.
Russell joined the Australian National Sportfishing Association (ANSA) in around 1992 and after a few years became President of the Kingaroy branch. He has held a position on the executive team of ANSA Queensland for most of the last decade and currently holds the position of President.
Passionate about the marine environment as well as the fishing and tourism industries, Russell is sitting Chair of the Cape York Local Marine Advisory Committee (CYLMAC) to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA), is an active member of the Australian Volunteer Coast Guard - QF16, and also a member of the Cooktown Chamber of Commerce and Tourism.
Russell's favourite fishing spot is Bathurst Heads in Princess Charlotte Bay.
- Endeavour Sportfishing Club Inc.
- Blue Water Club Inc.
- Cooktown RSL Club
- Cooktown Bowls Club
Councillor Appointment to Committees
- Local Authority Waste Management Advisory Committee (LAWMAC) - Proxy
- Cooktown Multi Purpose Heath Service Advisory Network
- Cooktown Chamber of Commerce and Tourism
- Cooktown District Community Centre (Board Membership)
- Endeavour Lodge (Seniors Housing) - Proxy
- Weary Bay Management Committee - Proxy
- Local Disaster Management Group
- Cooktown & Cape York Visitor Information Centre at Natures Powerhouse Advisory Committee
- Cooktown Harbour Dredging Advisory Committee - Chair
Cr Bowman was elected as Councillor in 2012.
How to contact Cr Bowman
Ratepayers and residents can call, email or meet with Councillors on request.
|A:||PO Box 3, Cooktown, Qld, 4895|
|P:||07 4069 5444 / 0417 913 592|