Permanent road closures
If you are seeking to have a road closed or to occupy some part of a road reserve:
- Applications are not made to Council.
- Applications are made to the Department of Natural Resources and Mines.
- The Department of Natural Resources and Mines advises Council of the application and asks for objections.
- The Department of Natural Resources and Mines advises the applicant of the outcome.
Temporary road closures
Temporary road closures can be requested in the following circumstances:
a) Work proposed by service providers/contractors requiring partial road closure on a temporary basis
Applicants need to apply for a permit under Local Law No. 4 and a set of conditions will be applied on a case by case basis. Please call Council to discuss your request at least a week in advance of works.
b) Special Events - Approval for temporary full road closure
Organisations wishing to hold special events, eg car rallies, bicycle races, foot races and temporarily close the road on Council roads, require Council approval.
An application in writing is required a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the proposed event. The application to include a plan showing the roads involved, date and time of event, traffic control details and planned road closures.
Individuals or groups are not permitted to close roads for the purpose of holding an event unless permits are obtained from Queensland Police Service, Council, and where applicable, the Department of Transport and Main Roads.
In addition to the conditions specified for road closures, the following is required:
- A copy of the organisation's Public Liability Insurance (minimum of $20,000,000.00), listing Cook Shire Council as an interested party.
- Details of the temporary road closure to be advertised for two weeks prior to the proposed closure in the relevant local newspaper. Council is to be supplied copies of the advertisement.
- Notification of the temporary road closure is to be sent to the following State Government organisations: Police, Ambulance, Fire & Rescue Authority and the State Emergency Service at least two weeks prior to the road closure.
- Residents and/or business operators directly affected by the temporary road closure are to be notified in writing two weeks prior to the road closure. Cook Shire Council is to be supplied an address list of those notified.
For future information or queries relating to road closures contact Council's Infrastructure Services team by phone on 07 4069 5444 or email email@example.com.