Volunteer Opportunities with Council
- Cook Shire Libraries welcome volunteers who can assist and train senior citizens in the operation of computers and navigation of the Internet. A minimum of two (2) hours per week will be required and a reasonable knowledge of computers and the Internet is essential.
- Cooktown and Cape York Visitor Information Centre @ Natures Powerhouse have opportunities for volunteers who have specific knowledge about the Cape York region and would like to share their knowledge with others. For example, if you are an avid bushwalker and speak about the various tracks and trails in our area, we'd love to talk to you. We also appreciate anyone who can just pop in and chat to our visitors about Cooktown and Cape York, hand our information and give directions to local landmarks and venues.
- Council run events, including Christmas in Cook Shire and the Cooktown & District Country Show, have dedicated volunteers who help organise and run these activities for our community. There is always room for more helpers in a wide variety of roles within these events.
If you are interested in volunteering with Cook Shire Council, please phone Counci's Community Grants and Development Officer, Fiona Brady on 4069 5444 or email email@example.com.
Volunteering in 2012
2012 will see Cook Shire Council focus on Volunteers… Ordinary people - Extraordinary contribution!
There will be a range of activities throughout the year coordinated through Council’s programs as well as programs provided with or by other agencies.
- Workshops - Cook Shire Council has a small Blueprint for the Bush grant to run a series of provocative workshops exploring organisational models and resource sharing arrangements. These workshops will also provide one-on-one finance and reporting assistance to volunteer clubs and organisations. Further information will be available soon. Contact Council's Community Development and Grants Officer, Fiona Brady, if you would like to discuss these workshops by phone (07) 4069 5444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cook Shire Council is also running a three year project under the Sport and Recreation Jobs Plan Program employing a local coordinator. The coordinator will support selected sporting clubs in the Cooktown area helping to improve access and provision of activities, create partnerships and opportunities for working together, and advise on funding, marketing and management of their organisations. Workshops and other activities under this program will be available to the general public. The Sport and Recreation Coordinator can be contacted by phoning (07) 4069 5444 or email email@example.com.
- Council is working with FNQ Volunteers who will be facilitating Plan 4 Action and Community Leadership 4 Community Action in the communities of Cooktown, Port Douglas/Mossman and the Tablelands over the next 12 months.
Regular updates will appear on Council’s Facebook page - Cook Shire Connect, via posters on community noticeboards and in Council's fortnightly advertisement in the Cooktown Local News.
To discuss any of the activities or projects listed above, please contact Council's Community Development and Grants Officer, Fiona Brady on (07) 4069 5444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Links & Useful Resources
Safe Work Australia - Work Health and Safety Resource Kit - Up-to-date legislation to help community groups and volunteers manage their WH&S rights and responsibilities.
Seek Volunteer - www.seekvolunteer.com.au - Find opportunities where you might like to volunteer, or list yourself as an available volunteer.
Volunteering Australia - www.volunteeringaustralia.org