You are here: Home / Services / Roads / Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. I have phoned Council requesting a road to be fixed. When will my road be fixed?

A.  Restoration works on some roads will be dependent on availability of resources.  Please note that the repair of roads lies variously with the Department of Main Roads, National Parks and Wildlife, Cook Shire Council and local Cape York councils.   Your customer requests have been recorded and will be distributed or rectified as soon as possible. 

Q. I am planning a holiday to Cape York, will I be able to get there and what will I need to take?

A. Council advises that you either check the Queensland Traffic website or our disaster dashboard website prior to travelling to a destination in the Cook Shire during the wet season or periods of unseasonably high rainfall. 

The road from Mareeba to Cooktown - the Mulligan Highway previously known as the Cooktown Developmental Road - is bitumen all the way and is in very good condition. However, beware of cattle and wallabies. 

The rest of the Cape York roads are mainly dirt roads and four-wheel-drive vehicles are recommended. It is wise to take extra spare tyres and have a supply of food on board if travelling in wet weather, in case you get caught between rivers/creeks. 

Where roads are being maintained/graded we ask that you abide by road signs and warnings. 

Q. Why are some heavy vehicles allowed to use the road when I can't?

A. These vehicles have been granted a special permit to operate by Council. This permit places various conditions and damage liabilities on these operators.

For further information

For any queries on roads contact Council's Infrastructure Services team on 4082 0500 or us.

ABN: 45 425 085 688

10 Furneaux Street Cooktown, Qld 4895

Mail: PO Box 3 Cooktown, Qld 4895


Phone: (07) 4082 0500

Fax: (07) 4082 0588

Hours: 8.45am-4.45pm Monday to Friday