To assist landholders with the management of weeds Cook Shire Council have in place a herbicide spray unit loan program. At present Council have the following units available for loan free of charge:
- 1 x 600 litre Quik Spray unit
- 1 x 400 litre Quik Spray unit
- 2 x 100 litre 12 volt spray units
The capacity and efficiency of these units will enable landholders to treat large areas while saving time and making a positive contribution to weed management, enhancing environmental outcomes and in many cases helping adjoining properties.
To register interest landholders are required to first complete a Spray unit loan agreement form and submit by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person at Council's administration building located at 10 Furneaux Street, Cooktown. Once submitted the landholder's details will be placed on a waiting list and contact will be made as soon as a unit is available for loan. At pick-up the landholder will be required to undergo a short induction in which use of the unit will be demonstrated. Please be advised that various conditions are attached to the loan of a unit, including the following:
- the landholder is responsible for transport of the unit to and from the Council depot
- loans are for a maximum 10 days only
- a $250 bond is payable prior to use (credit card pre-authorisations are acceptable)
- each unit must be returned in the condition it is loaned, including with a full tank of unleaded fuel
- basic details of the units use must be recorded on the treatment record sheet as supplied
Note: The Quik Spray units measure approximately 2100 mm in length by 1510 mm in width and will require an adequately sized truck or trailer for pick up.
For a full list of the terms and conditions please consult the Spray unit loan agreement form. For further information regarding the Spray unit loan program please contact Biosecurity Services on 4069 5444.